Peace Corps
May 1, 1964
TABLE OF CONTENTS B. THE VOLUNTEER ROLE IN THAILAND C. PEACE CORPS STAFF . F. LANGUAGE STUDY G. TECHNICAL AIDS H. REIMBURSEMENT I. MAIL AND CUSTOMS J. HEALTH AND MEDICAL SUPPORT K. ANNUAL LEAVE AND TRAVEL L. VOLUNTEER READING AND RELATED SERVICES " 21 M. VEHICLES AND LICENSES N. MARRIAGE POLICY O. TERMINATION OF SERVICE, EXTENSION OF SERVICE AND RE-ENROLLMENT The Volunteers are the Peace Corps. Our success depends on nothing more or less than thefreedom, initiative and sense of individual responsibility of each of you. Thus, there are greatresponsibilities as well as opportunities in being a Volunteer. You are expected to define yourown role, make your assignment meaningful, become involved in the local community, solveyour own problems and evaluate your own performance. If you do that successfully asindividuals, then the Peace Corps as .an organization will be a success.
The Peace Corps, therefore, does not want to "administer" Volunteers. You do not work for theThailand staff, and it would destroy an essential concept of the Peace Corps if you thought youdid. The function of the staff is merely to place you in an appropriate assignment, support yourefforts where necessary and see that together we fulfill our obligations to the American peopleand their Congress by maintaining the high standards the Peace Corps has set. A few of thesestandards are set forth in this booklet. These standards, however, are the minimum. You will sethigher ones for yourselves, and the higher they are the more satisfaction you will get from yourexperience here.
The Volunteer Role in Thailand
The Peace Corps is a "Volunteer-oriented" organization. The Volunteer works in an environmentwhich is virtually independent of the Peace Corps staff which supports his individual effort. Hereports to a host country supervisor in a direct line relationship, and his relative success or failurein his assignment is dependent, to a. greater extent than in most organizations, on his ability tocreate a meaningful assignment, to become "involved" in the local connunity and to establishinformal working and social relationships with host country citizens. As a result, the relationshipbetween the Volunteer and the in-country Peace Corps staff is unique.
In Thailand, the central role of the Peace Corps staff is to place each Volunteer in a middle--leveltechnical assignment in a Thai institution and to support his efforts with minimum control orinterference. In this setting, the Volunteer is presented with a unique opportunity to exerciseinitiative in an atmosphere of individual freedom.
Within broad Peace Corps guidelines, the Volunteer is expected to define his own role, to solvehis own problems and to evaluate his own performance. Individual Volunteers who areaccustomed to direct supervisory control, who expect staff guidance before individual action isimplemented, or who anticipate written instructions for every issue and definitive jobdescriptions for every assignment can expect unhappiness, frustration and unsatisfactoryworking relationships.
Based on experience, the Peace Corps staff is convinced that a policy which acknowledges theindividual freedom of the Volunteer vis-a-vis the staff is the only policy which will insureVolunteer success in Thailand. The staff is available to support your personal and technicalrequirements; however, in the final analysis, "you" are the Peace Corps and "your" ability toperform in an unstructured setting will determine the nature of your contribution and yoursatisfaction with the Volunteer role.
Freedom implies concomitant responsibility. The Volunteer has an obligation to discharge,conscientiously, his responsibility to the Peace Corps.
Peace Corps Staff
1. Peace Corps/Thailand Staff and Regional Assignments:- John C. McCarthy Representative Acting Deputy Representative Central-East Thailand (Southeast Paknam to Trad. East to Aranyapratet,including Ayudhya, Angthong and other places between Bangkhen andSaraburi). Bangkok and Dhonburi.
David Ziegenhagen Associate Representative Central-West Thailand (West and Southwest of Dhonburi to Suratthani).
South (Thungson south to Malaysia) Associate Representative Upper Northeast Thailand (Khonkaen, Loei, Udorn, Nongkhai, SakolNakorn, Nakorn Panom, Ubol, Srisaket).
Lower Northeast (Korat, Chaiyaphum, Kahasarakhani, Kalasin, Roi-Et,Surin, Buriram).
Robert Ford Contractor's Overseas Representative for ATAF North Thailand (north of Pitsanuloke) North Centra] (Saraburi north toTak, Sawankaloke, Pitsanuloke, Petchaboon).
Martha Leas, M.D. Peace Corps Physician Carole Jensen Administrative Assistant Staff Addresses:- Peace Corps Office 25 Soi Sai Nariphung (20) Sukhuitvit RoadTelephone: 910846 : 911368 John C. McCarthy 5/2 Soi Chidlon, Ploenchitr Road Telephone: 56120 36/5 Sukhumvit Road, opposite Soi 65 Telephone: 911643 David Ziegenhagen 98/2 Soi Ton Son, Ploenchitr Road Telephone: 56701 51 Soi 39, Lane 2 (Pramsri), Sukhunvit Rd,Telephone: 911451 4 Soi Ruam Chai (15), Sukhunvit Road Telephone: 55676 79 Soi Paidee Madee (53) Sukhumvit Road Telephone: 912643 (landlord's 'phone emergency only).
Permanent Housing The Thai Government has agreed to provide each Volunteer with, housing comparable tothat provided his Thai fellow-workers, Even when housing is not normally provided forThai staff, each institution will endeavor to obtain accommodations for the Volunteer.
In those cases where the institution is unable to provide accommodations, they willprovide a modest housing allowance instead. The maximum for this allowance is Bht 500per month in Bangkok and Bht 300 in the provinces. In practice, cash is rarely paid inlieu of accommodations except at a few Bangkok institutions.
Housing, whether provided or rented, should include minimal furnishings since PeaceCorps does not purchase furniture except in an extraordinary situation. If you need tosupplement this furniture, you should use the settling-in allowance and subsistenceallowance. Keep in mind such practical ideas as bookshelves made from bricks andboards, a wardrobe from a dowel or heavy wire with cloth canopy and comfortable but cheap rattan chairs.
2. Accommodations in Bangkok Volunteer Hostel The hostel is located at 32, Soi Kasem (24) off Sukhumvit Road, withaccommodations for approximately 30 Volunteers. The following priorities andrules govern its use: 1st priority : Thailand Volunteers on official business. No charge.
2nd priority : Thailand Volunteers visiting Bangkok unofficially. Bht 5 per night 3rd priority: Volunteers visiting Thailand from other countries. Bht 5 per night Normally, non-Volunteers will not be allowed to use the hostel facilities.
"Official" means that you are visiting Bangkok on Peace Corps or Thai Government approval, medical or other business, and that the Peace Corps or the Thai Government is paying your transportation costs.
1. Register in the Registration Book maintained by the maid upon arrival at the 2. Maid duties include general house cleaning, washing (no personal laundry) and distribution of linens. Volunteers must make their own beds and helpmaintain orderliness of the hostel and the bathrooms.
3. Before departing, Volunteers should strip their beds, sign out in theRegistration Book and pay the Bht 5 per night fee to the maid.
Other Accommodations If you are in Bangkok on official business and accommodations are not available at the hostel, you may avail yourself of a low-cost hotel. You should pay the bill if noprior arrangement was made by the Peace Corps for charging the bill and present it to thePeace Corps Office for reimbursement. A few hotels used by Volunteers are listed below: Viengthai Hotel - between Thani Road and Maitri Road,Banglampoo District (behind Lottery) -single Bht 70 ;double Bht 80.
Sathorn Road, Bangkok - single room Bht 60 double room Bht 80double roon for married couple Bht 120 dormitory Bht 25.
(These charges include breakfast and dinner - Thai) Sathorn Road, Bangkokdouble room Bht 60 single room Bht 110 dormitory Bht 25(These charges include breakfast).
Subsistence Allowance In Thailand, the up-country Volunteer monthly living allowance is Bht 1,446 (U.S.
$70). Volunteers in Bangkok, including Pranakorn and Dhonburi, receive Bht 1,652(U.S. $80). In addition to normal costs of living (food, clothing, sundries, etc.) thesubsistence allowance should be used for: a. Household renovation and costs of furnishings or other equipment, if these costs exceed the settling-in allowance.
b. Normal maintenance and replacement of household furnishings and repair of the Peace Corps supplied bicycle and fan.
c. Patent medicines.
d. Costs for water, charcoal, kerosene, etc. and the monthly electricity bills.
d. Domestic help (employed with prior Peace Corps approval). Your subsistence allowance is NOT designed to cover: a. Major medical expenses. If you are hospitalized or receive necessary outpatient treatment endeavor to pay the bill provided by the institutionor doctor. Forward this bill, with a full explanation, to the Peace CorpsOffice. You will receive a cash or check reimbursement.
b. In a few instances, it may be necessary for a Volunteer to make substantial renovations to living quarters or to buy large items offurniture such as a bed and mattress. These items are reimbursable withprior approval of a staff member. Remember, however, thatinstitution is responsible for supplying you your living accommodationsand basic furnishings.
Settling-in Allowance Each Volunteer receives a Settling-in Allowance before departing for his permanent assignment. This allowance is provided to defray the cost of those items you may need to buy during the first four weeks. For many Volunteers, this will include kitchenware, dinnerware, an electric or charcoal iron, a desk lamp, screening for your bedroom windows or mosquito netting, bedding, an extra chair, a bookcase, a hot plate or habachi, etc.
Annual Leave Allowance A leave allowance of U.S. $5.00 for Groups I to V and U.S. $7.50 for all others is payable upon request for each day of annual leave actually taken. An advance payment may be requested, but if the leave is not taken within 45 days after the date of the advance, the money must be refunded to the Peace Corps Office.
Since leave allowance is paid upon request only, it is possible to take annual leave and defer payment of the leave allowance until a later date. This flexibility is provided in case a Volunteer desires to use annual leave without requesting the allowance in order to save the money for a later trip.
The request for leave allowance should be made to the Peace Corps office six weeks in advance of payment, if possible. Request payment for ten or more days of leave at a time, unless the circumstances are unusual. Unless you specifically request payment in U.S.$, it will be made in Baht.
It should be understood that if a Volunteer resigns or his services are terminated prior to the end of a full term of duty, unused accrued leave or leave allowance will not be granted.
Supplementary Income Volunteers must live solely on their subsistence allowance. Therefore, they are not permitted to receive supplementary income of any kind. This prohibition is designed in part to assure a) that a Volunteer does not become motivated to make noney rather than fulfill his full potential as a Volunteer in his assigned institution and community, .and b) to assure that each Volunteer maintains a truly modest standard of living approximating that of his Thai colleagues.
Volunteers may accept after hours jobs which contribute to total effectiveness and which do not detract or interfere with assigned duties. In some cases, it may be mandatory that payment must be made for these services. If it is not mandatory the Volunteer should not accept this payment but encourage the payee to donate it to some worthy cause. If it becomes mandatory to accept, the Volunteer should donate the money directly to an appropriate charitable institution or fund.
5. Income from Literary Effort Peace Corps policy does not permit Volunteers to accept remuneration for the sale of articles or photographs during the period of their Peace Corps service. This policy also precludes the acceptance of remuneration for articles which do not pertain to Peace Corps activities.
Income Tax Provisions April 15 is the deadline for filing Federal income tax returns. Those who are overseas are given an automatic extension until June 17. On or before that date, unless you request and are granted, a further extension of time, you must file your previous year's Federal income tax return and pay the tax due on such income.
In recognition of the difficulties that Peace Corps Volunteers may have in meeting the usual tax deadline, the Peace Corps and the Internal Revenue Service have made arrangements for granting special extensions of tine to Volunteers who request them. If you complete and sign the Form 2688 PC, which will be made available to you by your Peace Corps Representative, and send it to your District Director of Internal Revenue, you will be granted an extension of time to file your return and to pay your tax. The extension will be for six months following the termination of your enrollment in the Peace Corps, or six months after your return to the United States, whichever is sooner. (The extension of time to file also extends the time in which you may claim any refund due you).
It is important to note, however, that the law imposes a charge of 6 percent per annum on any tax or installment of estimated tax which is not paid on April 15. If you had no income other than payments from the Peace Corps, or if all of your non-Peace Corps income was subject to withholding, then you probably have little or no tax. On the other hand, if you had substantial non-Peace Corps income which was not subject to withholding, you may have a substantial tax to pay. In that case, because of the interest charge, you may wish to pay your tax now rather than requesting an extension of time. Of course, if you get an extension, you my file and pay your tax at any convenient time before the extension expires; you need not wait the full period.
Taxable Peace Corps Income 25% of your monthly subsistence allowance (for Volunteersassigned to Thailand).
Annual leave allowance in the year you actually collect it.
$2 per day U.S. training allowance.
Withdrawals or allotments from your readjustment allowance. The balance of the readjustment allowance should be reported, in theyear when you actually collect it.
A withholding statement (W.2 form) will be furnished for all payments from thereadjustment allowance. Income tax forms and further information are available atthe Peace Corps Office.
Volunteers are encouraged to continue their Thai language study, particularly during the firstyear in Thailand through classroom, tutorial or private facilities. Volunteers are authorized toarrange for a teacher and to pay up to the maximum rates listed below. Normally, approved studywill consist of 3 - 5 hours per week over an extended period of time. However, if a Volunteerdesires to study more intensively for a shorter period of time, the special arrangement should beexplained when the first request for reimbursement is submitted. To obtain reimbursement,submit a receipt to the Peace Corps Office containing the teacher's full name, the period covered,the number of hours, the rate per hour and your certification of its correctness as shown in thefollowing sample. Submit the receipts on a bimonthly or quarterly basis unless your cashposition needs immediate improvement.
The following maximums should not be exceeded and in most cases the charges should be less; whenever possible, several Volunteers should study together.
Upcountry: Bht 10.00 per hour, but not to exceed Bht 20.00 per hour when two or more volunteers study in a class together.
Bangkok: Bht 20.00 per hour, but not to exceed Bht 40.00 per hour when two or more Volunteers study in class together.
Received in full baht from for hours Thai language instruction during the period _ at the rate of _ baht per hour.
( Teacher's full name) (Volunteer's name) Peace Corps Procurement Whenever a Volunteer requires teaching or demonstration materials, for his ownuse, which his institution cannot provide and which cannot be obtained locally atmoderate prices, he should write to the staff explaining his need in detail. Thestaff will endeavor to obtain the desired materials through local procurementsources. Please allow 3-6 weeks for items available in Thailand and 2-4 monthswhen purchases must be procured in the United States.
If the Peace Corps office makes the purchase, unavoidable delays may result. Onthe other hand, if the materials are available locally, and the cost is not greaterthan Bht 200, we suggest local purchase (obtain a receipt). When the receipt is forwarded to the Office, with a clear explanation, the Volunteer will bereimbursed directly. In this situation, the Volunteer assumes the responsibility fordeciding which teaching and demonstration aids to purchase and what is the"right" price locally.
If the Volunteer finds it necessary to occasionally purchase items of negligiblevalue, in order to reduce administrative overhead, reimbursement should not berequested.
If tools, maps or books aire required by the Volunteer personally to become amore effective or proficient teacher or worker, the purchase with Peace Corpsfunds will be approved. However, Peace Corps funds will not be used topurchase textbooks for all students in a class, to provide tools or textbooks forThai teachers or workers, to provide equipment for the Thai institution to whichthe Volunteer is assigned, or to furnish books for the library or the localcommunity. The Peace Corps is not engaged in technical assistance. The PeaceCorps mission is restricted to providing middle-level manpower. The purchase oftechnical aids will be restricted to those items which the Volunteer requires todischarge his assignment more effectively.
Non-Peace Corps Sources of Technical Aids Several private organizations in the United States have volunteered to send books,and other equipment, to the institutions where Peace Corps Volunteers areassigned. If your school or institution needs additional textbooks, magazines, orother minor technical aids, send a list of specific items to the Peace Corps officein Bangkok. Peace Corps Headquarters will arrange for the private donor in theUnited States to send the desired materials directly to the Thai institutioninvolved. The Volunteer should not serve as the donor nor should the Volunteermake the presentation to the Thai institution.
Book Credit Account for Volunteers An account is open for all Volunteers during their first six months in Thailand atCentral Trading Co., 677-681 Chakapet Road, Wang Burapha, Bangkok. Youmay purchase books up to a total of Bht 600 over this period of time for your ownreading purposes, teaching aids and subscriptions. We suggest you familiarizeyourself with Central as soon as possible to enable you to make your selection onfuture visits to Bangkok and by mail directly to Central.
Receipts for the purchase of approved teaching aids, medical expenses andoccasionally other approved items, will be reimbursed by the Peace Corps Office. The following rules apply: a. Obtain a receipt for each purchase b. Sign and date each receipt as your certification of its accuracy.
c. Explain the intended use of the items or in an accompanying letter.
d. Translate each item on the receipt. Often the receipts are written in Chinese or illegible Thai.
If a Volunteer is assigned to temporary duty, at the request of his Thai supervisor,the Thai Government has agreed to pay the necessary travel costs. If the Thaisupervisor maintains that funds are not available for this purpose, the Peace Corpsoffice should be contacted before such temporary duty is completed.
When a Volunteer is requested to travel on official Peace Corps business(Volunteer seminars, individual assignment conferences, etc.), travel costs will bereimbursed by the Peace Corps directly. Normally, the Volunteer will be expectedto purchase his own tickets. To insure reimbursement the following rules apply: a. Retain all tickets as receipts b. Prepare a Sjgned and dated statement of actual costs for all travel (Including transportation for which tickets are not issued). The statement should include: 1. Date of each departure and arrival.
2. Cost of each mode of transportation employed. All ticket receipts should be attached to the travel statement.
In order to insure reimbursement for the costs of travel on official business, aVolunteer is restricted to the following transportation carriers and classes:- Rail Travel - daytime: 2nd or 3rd class coach overnight: 2nd or 3rd class coach. If the Volunteer nustreport for duty on the day of arrival at post, 1st class coach travel is authorized.
When bus service is unavailable, impractical orconnections do not pemit use of bus service, To and from location not served by rail, (Presentlyconfined to Phuket, Chiengrai, Nakorn Panom and SakolNakorn).
As required.
(Suggested format for requests for travel reimbursement) Trip to Seminar June 9 11, 1964 at Bangkok June 8 Chiengmai-Bangkok Express Train June 11 Bangkok-Chiengmai " " Travel Costs Claimed Attached round-trip ticket Chiengmai-Bangkok Chiengmai: Bht 468 _ _Signature of Volunteer Date Mail and Customs
When you are settled at your permanent assignment location, direct yourcorrespondents to send your mail to your local address in Thailand viainternational postal facilities. Generally, the postal service in Thailand is reliable. However, should your Thai colleagues,or individual Volunteer experience,indicate that postal service in your community is not reliable, it is recommendedthat you register your mail, particularly packages and foreign mail with extensivepostage.
Peace Corps Volunteers are prohibited from using APO (military post office)facilities.
Customs Procedures In Thailand, Peace Corps Volunteers do not enjoy duty-free importationprivileges. Duty will be charged on all packages subject to customs control exceptyour authorized unaccompanied surface/air baggage. The Peace Corps Office willclear your unaccompanied baggage through Customs and forward all trunks andsuitcases to your permanent assignment location. Parents, relatives, and friends,should be notified that all packages sent to you, except those containing books,will be subject to duty. You are also reminded that articles purchased by yououtside of Thailand will be subject to the payment of duty upon enteringThailand.
Health and Medical Support
Your Health Guide and Medical Kit will function as a "do it yourself" medical resource, butobviously with limitations. Use your own judgment in caring for minor illnesses, but forcontinuing or serious illnesses see a physician promptly for medical care.
The Peace Corps Physician is available for consultation and treatment and can be reached atPeace Corps Headquarters, telephone 910846 : 911368 Mondays through Saturdays. In case ofemergencies or the absence of the Peace Corps Physician from town, the Bangkok Sanitariumand Hospital, Pitsanuloke Road, Siyahg Laru Luang and Petchburi Road, is available for medicalcare. Regular clinic hours are fron 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 8 a.m. - 12 noonon Friday. The hospital is open at any tine for emergencies. The Peace Corps Physician wouldlike to be contacted first if possible.
Annual physical examinations as well as dental exams will be scheduled with the Peace CorpsPhysician during your tour. This can be arranged around your schedules, seminars, etc., and willnot necessitate a special trip to Bangkok.
There is an abundance of medical care available outside of Bangkok. A provincial hospital issituated in each province, mission hospitals are located in Chiengmai, Chiengrai, Haadyai,Phuket, Saraburi and Manoron. A U.S. array field hospital is located at Korat and a U.S. army orair force physician is usually present in Udorn and Ubol. All facilities - U.S., Thai Governmentand missionary - are available for medical care. In general, you may go to the local hospital orhealth center for medical care. However, elective hospitalization or surgery is not recommendedoutside of Bangkok or Chiengmai. For minor illnesses, e.g. transient stomach upsets and minorinjuries, short term hospitalization in the provinces may be accepted. However, it isIMPORTANT that you notify the Peace Corps Office immediately by whatever means possible –telegram, telephone, police radio, JUSMAG radio - stating place, docotor's name, diagnosis and condition. For any major problems we will arrange immediate transport to Bangkok. If youreceive outpatient medical care at any of the places mentioned, give the physician one of thestandard forms you are supplied with, stating date seen, diagnosis, treatment and fee, and requesthe return it to Peace Corps, Bangkok.
All laboratory work on medical consultation given to Volunteers at Bangkok Seventh DayAdventist Hospital, Haadyai Mission Hospital and McCormick Hospital in Chiengnai is billeddirectly to Peace Corps, Bangkok. Any other medical or dental bills pay yourself, obtain areceipt and you will be reimbursed. It is important that we also obtain a statement from thedoctor on the form provided.
General Health Maxims Proper care with food and water will be the mainstay of continuing good health. Your"health guide" is explicit on this subject.
The Malaria suppressive drug (Aralen Chloroquine) should be taken weekly by all whoare outside Bangkok or travelling occasionally outside Bangkok.
Do not take antibiotics (e.g. Terramycin) promiscuously. Except for those in veryisolated areas, this should be taken only on the prescription of a physician. A few pills fora "cold" or as a "preventive" are useless at best.
Be a "mite leery" of prescriptions of Chloromycetin or Chloramphenicol, an antibiotic.
This is inexpensive and widely used in Thailand. For some infections (e.g. typhoid) it isvery effective. Occasionally, it may affect the blood forming mechanism of the body. Ablood count should be performed within one week if you are taking the drug continuouslyand twice weekly thereafter. Advise the doctor that you have Terramycin in your kit.
If you are allergic to any drugs, be certain the doctor or nurse understands this.
If you need a tetanus shot this should be a Toxoid booster. You are presently activelyimmunized against tetanus. Tetanus Antitoxin will almost never be needed, and its usemay bring complications.
Rabies Vaccine. If these injections are necessary, contact Bangkok immediately. RabiesVaccine duck embryo is recommended for use and will be started in Bangkok or sent toyou in the provinces. If you are allergic to egg yolk, this vaccine should not be used.
Initial injections of the standard (Semple) rabies vaccine available in the provinces, maybe necessary, until the duck embryo vaccine reaches you. If you can reach Bangkokwithin 24 hours, come on in. Remember: other animals besides dogs can spread rabies : treat all bite wounds as suspect. See your local physician.
Daily vitamins are not necessary, but are recommended if your diet is marginal, if you arelosing excessive amounts of weight, are fatigued or for "tired blood".
Don't temporize with conditions or symptoms that are disturbing and that do not improvepromptly or anything that makes you sick, sick, sick. Be especially careful of continuingdiarrhea and respiratory infections if accompanied by weight loss, weakness, pain orfever. A bloody diarrhea is always a danger signal. SEE THE DOCTOR.
Avoid close contact with persons who have a chronic cough, unless they have had ahealth check-up and X-ray which is satisfactory. All servants should be screened with achest X-ray and a medical exam. Encourage your room-mate to get an X-ray.
Snake bite. If you are bitten by a snake, it is most important to get treatment as soon aspossible, as anti venom may be needed. Apply a tourniquet above the bite wound (nottightly so as to occlude arterial supply or pulses) and rest the part. Identify the snake.
The Peace Corps Physician will welcome the opportunity to consult with you at any time andwill occasionally visit you in the field. Consider the Physician, aside from harbinger of shot andpill, as a medical confidante and your personal physician.
Dietary Supplements Normally, foods available on the local market will meet minimum dietary requirements. Formedical reasons or other exceptional circumstances, a Volunteer my require dietary supplements,other than vitamins, which are not available locally. In such an event, please submit yourrequest to the Peace Corps Office or suggest to another Volunteer who is planning to visitBangkok that he make the desired purchases. Volunteers are prohibited from using, or askingothers to use on their behalf, PX and commissary facilities.
Annual Leave and Travel
No subject seems to be nore complex than the question of leave. For that reason, we are printingmost of the applicable Peace Corps regulations on leave. Briefly stated, they set forth thefollowing rules as applied to the Peace Corps in Thailand.
The Peace Corps expects each Volunteer to devote eleven months of the year todiligent work. The Peace Corps also encourages Volunteers to travel in thecountry of their assignment and in neighboring countries for educationalpurposes.
Leave regulations between institutions and between countries where Volunteersare employed vary appreciably. To be assured that each Volunteer has sufficientopportunity for educational travel and yet does not receive excessive leave orvacation, the Peace Corps has established a general leave policy for allVolunteers. Because the provisions of this policy were changed on August 15,1963, we are currently operating under two sets of regulations, one for Groups I -V and another for Group VI and all succeeding groups, Volunteers from these groups receive 30 days leave per year. Annual leaveaccumulates at the rate of 2 days per month from the day a Volunteer enterstraining. For each day of leave actually taken, a Volunteer may receive anallowance of U.S.$5.00 to cover the expenses of leave.
Please Note:- Unused leave nay be taken at the end of a Volunteer's prescribedtern of service, but details should be worked out with the Peace CorpsRepresentative well in advance.
Group VI and Succeeding Groups Each Volunteer is credited at the beginning of his overseas service with 45 daysof leave. This is total amount of leave to which he is entitled during his prescribedterm of service and it does not accumulate on the basis of specific periods of time.
For each day of leave actually taken, a Volunteer nay receive an allowance ofU.S. $7.50 to cover the extra expenses of leave.
No leave may be taken during the last six weeks of service. If a Volunteer has notused all of his 45 days of leave at the end of his tern of service, he loses anyunused leave and leave allowance.
The purpose of the leave allowance is to cover the expenses of leave actuallytaken. When an advance payment is made, the leave should generally be taken notmore than 45 days after the date of the advance. If leave is not actually taken afteran advance of leave allowance is made, the Volunteer must refund the advance tothe Peace Corps office.
When holidays occur on which a Volunteer's co-workers do not work, theVolunteer may be excused from work. Generally, however, if the Volunteerleaves his duty station on a trip, the holiday should be counted against annualleave.
Holiday periods of more than one week should be either taken as annual leave orused for special projects consistent with and in the furtherance of the purposes ofthe Peace Corps.
Volunteers should not ordinarily expect to be excused front work on U.S.
holidays. Holidays which occur during leave must be counted as part of the leaveperiod.
In Thailand, annual leave is granted with the approval of the Thai supervisor andthe Peace Corps Office. In requesting annual leave, the following proceduresapply: A Volunteer wishing to take annual leave should discuss the proposedleave period with his Thai supervisor to determine whether the leave willconflict with the working schedule.
The Volunteer will prepare a Peace Corps form, "Application for AnnualLeave", which nust be signed by the Thai supervisor.
The Volunteer will forward the "Application for Annual Leave" form tothe Peace Corps Office. For leave outside Thailand, the Volunteer mustobtain the approval of the Peace Corps Representative prior to departure.
For leave within Thailand, prior approval is not required.
This procedure makes the Thai supervisor responsible for approving the absenceof the Volunteer from the job assignment only. The individual Volunteer bearsthe responsibility for exercising sound judgment concerning the time when leaveis requested, the duration of leave, and the location where annual leave is taken.
To insure that all leave records are accurate, Volunteers are requested to follow,precisely, the annual leave procedures. If the leave actually taken is more or lessthan the amount originally requested, an amended "Application for Leave" formmust be filled out upon returning from leave status.
Travel Outside Thailand Leave travel during the Volunteer's first twelve months in Thailand will berestricted to Thailand and neighboring Southeast Asia countries (includingMalaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam. and Burma, when conditions permit). ThePeace Corps encourages Volunteers to use the majority of their leave to see andknow Thailand and its people early enough in their tour so that this knowledgewill be of benefit during the reminder of their tour. In the past, no particularrestrictions have been placed by your staff on travel outside this area. As a result,many Volunteers have traveled extensively throughout the Far East, leaving littleof their leave and frequently none of their leave allowance for travel in Thailand.
Exceptions will be made in the following cases: Where the Volunteer has already traveled extensively in Thailand, forexample, during breaks between semesters.
Where the Volunteer has only one opportunity to take a lengthy leave andit falls within his first twelve months incountry. For example, a teacherwho arrives incountry in May has only one summer vacation and it falls inthe first twelve months.
In other cases where unusual circumstances exist.
The requirement that 30 of the 45 days authorized leave be used in the first twelvemonths or lost is hereby eliminated but the staff will hesitate to approve traveloutside the region that consumes the majority of a Volunteer's total authorizedleave.
Requests for approval of leave plans will ordinarily be granted routinely exceptwhere the plans conflict with the policies or with Ministry or Peace Corpssponsored activities. Absence by a Volunteer from his job which is notauthorized by his Thai supervisor or the Peace Corps will be viewed as a seriousviolation. Such absences will be charged against annual leave and, in addition, theVolunteer may be docked out of his readjustment allowance, depending upon thegravity of the situation.
If a Volunteer expects to travel outside of Thailand on leave status, he shouldrealize that a leave allowance can only be awarded with adequate advance noticeto the Peace Corps Office. Volunteer travel is forbidden to countries which arenot included in the immediate Far East/South Asia region and to nearby countrieswhere a potential threat to personal safety exists.
Visas are required for travel to most countries in the Far East/South Asia region.
The individual Volunteer must secure the required visas. The followinginformation may prove helpful; however, visa requirements change frequently.
Before embarking on travel outside of Thailand, specific inquiries should bedirected to the Embassies concerned.
Burma : Visa obtainable in 2-3 days. Burmese Embassy 132 NorthSathorn Road 3O237/32O57 hours : 09:00 - 12:00 Monday to Saturday 13:00 - 16:30 Monday to Friday Visa (3 photos) obtainable at the Indonesian Embassy, PetchburiRoad, in two days or less.
hours : 08 00 - 12:00 Monday to Friday 13:00 - 16:30 " Telephone: 73005-7 C/o British Embassy, Ploenchitr Road. Visas are also obtainableupon arrival.
Hong Kong: Visa (l photo) obtainable in one day : British Embassy Ploenchitr Road Telephone: 57091-2-3 9:30-12:00 Monday to Friday 13:30-15:30 " " Visa (4 photos) obtainable two days : Indian Embassy139 Pan Road, offSathorn Rd.
Telephone: 35065 hours : 07:30-13:45 Monday to Saturday Visa obtainable (one day) : Indonesian Embassy600 Petchburi Rd.
Telephone: 73005-7 hours : 0S00 - 12:00 Monday to Friday 1300 - 16:30 " " " Note: Thailand Volunteers are currently not permitted to visit Indonesiawithout special permission from the PCR.
Visa (3 photos) obtainable : Japanese Embassy 61 Wireless Road Hours : 08:00 - 12:00 Monday to Friday 14:00 - 16:00 " " Malayasia: No visa required. For inquiry contact Malaysian EmbassySathorn RoadTelephone: 36927 Philippines: Visa obtainable in two days : Philippine EmbassySukhunvit RoadTelephone: 31825 -31859 Hours : 08:00 - 13:00 Monday to Friday Singapore : No visa required. For inquiry contact the Malayan Embassy.
Taiwan : Visa (2 photos) obtainable (one day) : Chinese Embassy Petchburi Rd. extension Hours : 08:00 - 12:00 Monday to Saturday 14:00 - 17:00 " Friday Thai and American Holidays With the exception of school vacations, a Volunteer may take Thai holidays to which hisThai colleagues are entitled without using annual leave. Thai holidays arc frequent andthe Volunteer will be afforded ample opportunity for short-term travel in Thailandwithout requesting annual leave.
During school vacations (in excess of one week), a Volunteer must either request annualleave or participate in constructive temporary, but full-time work. Temporary vacationemployment may be informal; e.g., studying Thai, conducting English classes orparticipating in social welfare or other community activities. In addition, the Volunteermay engage in formal activities such as classroom teaching or serving as a campcounselor. Normally, the Volunteer will arrange his own vacation schedule dependingupon the needs of his community. If the community to which the Volunteer is assigneddoes not present a summer opportunity, the Peace Corps Office will arrange a summerprogram.
Hot Season "Summer" Vacation Period The following should be kept in mind in formulating plans for the hot season period: You may take annual leave, If not on annual leave, your first responsibility is to carry out summer programs ofyour supervisory departmaent and institution. In some cases, Peace Corps will beworking cooperatively to carry on programs with the Ministry of Education inwhich you will be requested to participate.
If your supervisory department and institution have no summer assignment foryou, you should be prepared to consider requests from your community for yourservices when the request is reasonable and is for a service you are qualified togive. Such requests might be for participation in a recreation program forchildren, English seminars for prathom teachers, etc.
With prior Peace Corps approval, you may develop a summer activity in or nearyour community which is interesting to you and meets with the approval ofconcerned Thais.
Should you find yourself with no summer employment in prospect, contact thePeace Corps Office in January and we will endeavor to place you in a summerrole that will be useful and hopefully enjoyable.
Also, keep in mind that annual leave is provided for purposes of travel to see Thailandand neighboring countries. While a change of scenery during the summer vacation mayappear very appealing, the Peace Corps cannot respond to individual desires to use thesummer job as a way of seeing more of Thailand. If traveling is your interest, you areencouraged to use your annual leave instead.
Whenever a Volunteer expects to be away from his permanent assignment location formore than 72 hours, he should send a note to the Peace Corps Office. This policy hasbeen instituted to protect the Volunteer in the event of a family crisis or other emergency.
Volunteer Reading and Related Services
Two English language newspapers are published in Thailand, the BANGKOKWORLD and the BANGKOK POST. The WORLD appeals to many readersbecause it covers the world and U.S. news in more depth and provides excellentcoverage of local news. The WORLD carries Roscoe Drumraond, Joseph Alsop, Art Buchwald, Walter Lippman, Max Lerner and Peanuts, Pogo and Lil Abner.
The POST is British-oriented and carries several English columnists. In almostevery community where Thai newspapers are sold, you nay enter a subscription. You may send a postal money order or check, directly to the publishers listedbelow: BANGKOK WORLD90/6 Lam Luang Road Bangkok BANGKOK POST Mansion 4, Rajdamnern AvenueBangkok (7 days/week) 3 months Subscriptions to U.S. magazines and periodicals should be obtained by theindividual Volunteer through the stateside publisher. For mailing purposes, yourlocal address in Thailand should be used. From tine to tine, U.S. magazines havesent courtesy subscriptions to Peace Corps Volunteers (TIME, READER'SDIGEST, ATLANTIC). Courtesy subscriptions are granted by the publisher andare not provided through Peace Corps auspices. Many courtesy subscriptions areshort-tern and are granted to induce the Volunteers to request a long-term paidsubscription. The Volunteer should anticipate that courtesy subscriptions will becanceled after a few months of complimentary treatment.
Booklockers prepared by Peace Corps/Washington containing more than threehundred paperback books are available in limited quantity. As more earlyVolunteers terminate, their booklockers will be available for reassignment. At thepresent time we have enough booklockers for one to each PCV community.
The Thailand program newsletter, the Journal, is written and edited byVolunteers. It is generally published every six to eight weeks, with copies goingto all Thailand Volunteers and their parents. Volunteers are encouraged to submitarticles or ideas for the Journal to Editor, Journal, Peace Corps, 25 Soi 20Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok.
Photography Service The Borneo Conpany Ltd., which has a Kodak Products Division, has instituted amailing service for up-country photographers. Any of you who anticipate regularfilm needs should deposit a nominal sum of noney (Bht 200) with the BorneoCompany. After the deposit has been received, the depositor may mail hisexposed film directly to the Borneo Co., have it developed and returned, withdeveloping and postage expenses charged against the deposit. If you are interestedin initiating this procedure, please write directly to: Mr. Pin Srisilp Kodak Products Division The Borneo Co. Ltd. Silom Road, Bangkok Vehicles and Licenses
Bicycles and Motor Vehicles Any Thailand Volunteer who feels he can use a bicycle for local transportationwill be issued one. Each Volunteer is expected to provide good maintenance forhis bicycle and to pay for all repairs from his subsistence allowance.
Normally, no Thailand Volunteer will be issued a.motor vehicle. WorldwidePeace Corps experience indicates that vehicles are neither necessary nordesirable. Most Volunteers feel that a motor vehicle does nothing to promote thegoals of the Peace Corps and is a hindrance to the individual Volunteer's success.
Volunteers who are asked to travel beyond the range of bicycle and localtransportation facilities in connection with their job should expect the Thaiinstitution involved to provide the necessary transportation.
Under existing worldwide Peace Corps policy, a Volunteer is prohibited frompurchasing any form of motorized vehicle, including motor scooters andmotorcycles. A Volunteer is likewise discouraged from borrowing a motorvehicle for personal use on a regular basis.
Driver's Licenses All Volunteers who expect to drive a motor vehicle or motorcycle must have validThai driver's permits. For a small charge, these are obtainable at local policestations and in Bangkok at the police compound opposite the Erawan Hotel. Unless you have a valid U.S. or International license, you will be required to takea driving test.
If a Volunteer is single when he arrives in Thailand, it is anticipated that he or she will maintainthat status until the completion of the normal tern of service. If a Volunteer contemplatesmarriage to another Volunteer or to a host country citizen, he or she must notify the Peace Corpsstaff immediately. The Peace Corps Representative, with the approval of Peace CorpsWashington, will make the final decision as to whether the Volunteer will be allowed to changehis or her marital status and still remain in the Peace Corps. The elements of the marriage policyare available on request.
Termination of Service, Extension of Service, and Re-enrollment
Normally, a Volunteer will spend twenty-one months in Thailand. With the approval of the ThaiGovernment and the Peace Corps Representative, a Volunteer may request an extension ofservice for six months beyond the normal tour of duty. With the approval of PeaceCorps/Washington, a Volunteer may extend for up to one additional year. Application forextension should be made to the Peace Corps Representative three months prior to theVolunteer's termination date.
The Peace Corps also encourages re-enrollment of those Volunteers who have the capacity tosustain their Volunteer commitment and effectiveness throughout a new full term of Peace Corpsservice. A Volunteer may re-enroll for service in Thailand or a new country; however, if heapplies for a new country, he must generally complete a Peace Corps training program for thatcountry.
Volunteers who wish to re-enroll may submit a request three months prior to the completion oftheir original term of service. In addition, a Volunteer may re- enroll at any time within one year of termination of normal service. Peace Corps will provide transportation to and from the UnitedStates for Volunteers who enroll for a full second tern.
Satisfactory completion of one full term of Peace Corps service does not necessarily qualify aVolunteer or former Volunteer for further Peace Corps service. The following factors will guidethe Peace Corps in determining whether or not he is qualified for a second term: Motivation is seeking a second term of service.
Capacity to sustain his commitment and effectiveness throughout a second tern ofservice.
Job performance, health and general conduct in the first assignment.
Desire of the host country for the Volunteer's services, All Volunteers participate in a termination conference several weeks prior to the completion oftheir service. At this time they have an opportunity to discuss and evaluate their individual andgroup achievements, Peace Corps programming and policies and the Thailand program. Termination information will be sent to all Volunteers several weeks prior to their terminationconference.
If a Volunteer fails tc fulfill the highest standards of personal conduct or fails to discharge hisassigned duties in a satisfactory manner, the Peace Corps Representative is empowered toterminate his or her services at any time.

Source: http://www.friendsofthailand.org/thailandrpcvs/groups/thaiIII/documents/Documents/VolunteerHandbook.pdf

Foi_advocacy_swedish_oddity.pdf - created by pdfmachine from broadgun software, http://pdfmachine.com, a great pdf writer utility!

ADVOCATING FOR THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION – THE SWEDISH "ODDITY"? By David Goldberg Co-convener, Campaign for Freedom of Information in Scotland December 2002 The history of freedom of information in practice in the world is extremely varied and complete --Thomas Blanton INTRODUCTION: GENERAL ADVOCACY TIPS Using the Communication Initiative's site1 search engine a search for the term "advocacy" brings up 2537 matches. So, one could be forgiven for not doing justice to the complexity of the concept in a short paper. However, quoting a couple of stipulative, working definitions might be helpful. Firstly, the USA-based Advocacy Institute states that,

Ismm news 10/1998: october case discussion

ISMM News 10/1998: October Case Discussion OCTOBER CASE DISCUSSION International Society for Mountain Medicine Newsletter, 8 (4): 14- (Oct 1998)Question 2. A patient complains of serious insomnia when he goes above 2000m.He has lived and worked at 2500m and cannot sleep very well. He now has a job at2500-3500m for 6 months and is very concerned to find a way to deal with theinsomnia. What do you think is going on and what would you advise?