Microsoft word - jg_cv_2015.doc
JACK MERRIT GWALTNEY, JR.
December 24, 1930, Norfolk, Virginia
B.A. University of Virginia 1948-1952
M.D. University of Virginia 1952-1956
Summary of Career:
University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio
Residency, Internal Medicine
University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio
Chief Resident, Internal
University of Virginia Hospital
Medical Officer, U.S. Army
Fort Dix, New Jersey
University of Virginia Hospital
(Respiratory Virus Research)
Research Fellow in Preventive
University of Virginia School
Medicine and Medicine
Instructor in Preventive
University of Virginia School
Medicine and Medicine
Assistant Professor of Preventive
University of Virginia School
Medicine and Medicine
Associate Professor of
University of Virginia School
Head, Division of Epidemiology
University of Virginia School
Professor of Medicine
University of Virginia School
Wade Hampton Frost Professor
University of Virginia School
Director, Center for the Pre-
University of Virginia School
vention of Disease and Injury
Jack M. Gwaltney, Jr., M.D. Curriculum Vitae continued Page 2 2004
Professor Emeritus of Medicine
University of Virginia School
: American Board of Internal Medicine, 1963
Subspecialty in Infectious Diseases, 10/17/72
Postdoctoral Fellow, NIAID, National Institute of Health
Edward Livingston Trudeau Fellow, American Thoracic Society
Associate Member, Commission on Acute Respiratory Diseases, Armed Forces Epidemiological Board
Research Career Development Award, National Institutes of Health
Member, Advisory Panel on Infectious Disease Therapy, United States Pharmacopeia
Editorial Board, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
Board of Trustees, American Type Culture Collection
Secretary-Treasurer Virginia Thoracic Society Governing Council
Vice President Virginia Thoracic Society, Governing Council
Consultant, National Science Foundation (Directorate for Astronomical, Atmospheric, Earth, and Ocean Sciences; Office of Polar Programs)
Chairman, Board of Trustees, American Type Culture Collection
President Virginia Thoracic Society
Member, University of Virginia Senate - Medical School
Consultant-Advisor, Board of Education and Training of the American Society for Microbiology
Representative Councilor, Virginia Thoracic Society
Co-chairman Alumni Activities Subcommittee, Advisory Committee University of Virginia Medical Alumni
Chapter Councilor, Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
Editor, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Virology Section
Jack M. Gwaltney, Jr., M.D. Curriculum Vitae continued Page 3
Member, Armed Forces Epidemiological Board
American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Quality Improvement -
Subcommittee on Sinusitis
Consultant, Healthcare Products Development Inc. 120 E Avenue, Norwalk, CT
Raven Society, 1955 Sigma Xi, 1968 Alpha Omega Alpha, 1975 The Jeremiah Metzgar Lecturer, American Clinical and Climatological Association, 1984 The Joseph E. Smadel Award, IDSA, 1987 Jack M. Gwaltney, Jr. Professorship established in the Department of Medicine, 2009 Alvan R. Feinstein Epidemiology Award, American College of Physicians, 2009
American Medical Association American Epidemiological Society American College of Physicians (Fellow, March 1971) Albemarle County Medical Society American Federation for Clinical Research American Society for Microbiology American Thoracic Society American Association for the Advancement of Science American Association of University Professors Infectious Diseases Society of America Medical Society of Virginia Southern Society for Clinical Investigation Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine Society for Epidemiologic Research Society for Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces American Clinical and Climatological Association Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine SE Section of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine American Academy of Microbiology Virginia Thoracic Society International Epidemiological Association American College of Epidemiology (Fellow, August 1981) International Society for Antiviral Research Virginia Infectious Disease Society (VIDS)
1. Gwaltney JM Jr and Jordan WS Jr. The present status of respiratory viruses. Med Clin N Amer
2. Gwaltney JM Jr and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinovirus and respiratory disease. Bact Rev 28:409- 422,
3. Gwaltney JM Jr and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinoviruses and respiratory illness in University students.
Am Rev Resp Dis 93:362-371, 1966.
4. Gwaltney JM Jr. Micro-neutralization test for the identification of rhinovirus serotypes. Proc Soc
Exper Biol Med 122:1137-1141, 1966.
5. Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Simon G, and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinovirus infections in an industrial
population. I. The occurrence of illness. New Engl J Med 275:1261-1268, 1966.
6. Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Simon G, and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinovirus infections in an industrial
population. II. Characteristics of illness and antibody responses. JAMA 202: 494-500, 1967.
7. Kapikian, AZ, et al. Rhinoviruses: A numbering system. Nature 123:761-763, 1967.
8. Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Simon G, and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinovirus infections in an industrial
population. III. Number and prevalence of serotypes. Am J Epidemiol 87:158-166, 1968.
9. Gwaltney JM Jr. The spectrum of rhinovirus inhibition by 2-(∀-hydroxybenzyl)- benzimida-zole
and D-(-)-2-(∀-hydroxybenzyl) benzimidazole HCl. Proc Soc Exper Biol Med 129:665- 663, 1968.
10. Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Jordan WS Jr. Rhinovirus infections in an industrial
population. IV. Infections within families of employees during two fall peaks of respiratory illness. Am J Epidemiol 89:184-196, 1969.
11. Gwaltney JM Jr. The common cold. In "Current Therapy." HF Conn, ed., WB Saunders,
12. Gwaltney JM Jr. The common cold: Progress and perspectives. Hospital Practice 4:84-93,
13. Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus inhibition by 3-substituted triazinoindoles. Proc Soc Exper Biol Med
14. Gwaltney JM Jr and Calhoun AM. Viral aggregation resulting in the failure to correctly identify
an unknown rhinovirus. Appl Micro 20:390-392, 1970.
15. Kapikian AZ et al. A col aborative report: Rhinovirus-extension of the numbering system.
Virology 43:524-526, 197l.
16. Gwaltney JM Jr, Edmondson WP Jr, Rothenberg R, and White PW Jr. A comparison of
subcutaneous, nasal, and combined influenza vaccination. I. Antigenicity. Am J Epidemiol 93:472-479, 1971.
17. Edmondson WP Jr, Rothenberg R, White PW Jr, and Gwaltney JM Jr. A comparison of
subcutaneous, nasal, and combined influenza vaccination. II. Protection against natural chal enge. Am J Epidemiol 93:480-486, 1971.
18. Gwaltney JM Jr. Virology of the middle ear. Annls Otol Rhinol Laryngol 80:365-370, 1971.
19. Gwaltney JM Jr. Influenza vaccine. (Editorial). JAMA 217: 333-334, 1971.
20. Gwaltney JM Jr. Antiviral Chemotherapy. Va Med Monthly, July, 1971, pp. 368-370.
21. Williams RB and Gwaltney JM Jr. Allergic rhinitis or virus cold?: Nasal smear eosinophilia in
differential diagnosis. Annls All 80:189-194, 1972.
22. Hendley JO, Edmondson WP Jr, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Relation between naturally acquired
immunity and infectivity of two rhinoviruses in volunteers. J Infect Dis 125:243-248, 1972.
23. Hendley JO, Fishburne HB, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Coronavirus infections in working adults:
Eight-year study with 229E and OC43. Am Rev Resp Dis 105:805-811, 1972.
24. Brown RC, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Mycoplasma pneumoniae vaccine: Antigenicity of
buffered antigens in volunteers. Infect Immunol 5:657-661, 1972.
25. Gwaltney JM Jr. Testimony on advertising of proprietary medicines. In "The Hearings before
the Subcommittee on Monopoly of the Select Committee on Smal Business, United States Senate, 92nd Congress, Second Session of Effect of Promotion and Advertising of Over-the- Counter Drugs on Competition, Smal Business, and the Health and Welfare of the Public Cough and Cold Remedies Misuse of Antibiotics Anti-obesity Drugs, Part 3, 1972, p. 1020.
26. Merril CW, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, and Sande MA. Rapid identification of pneumococci:
Gram stain vs the Quellung reaction. New Engl J Med 288:510-512, 1973.
27. Converse GM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Strassburg DA, and Hendley JO. Alteration of CSF finding by
partial treatment of bacterial meningitis. J Ped 83:220-225, 1973.
28. Winfield JB, Sande MA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Aspirations during sleep. Letter to the Editor.
JAMA 223:1288, 1973.
29. Hendley JO, Wenzel RP, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Transmission of rhinovirus colds by self-
inoculation. New Engl J Med 288:1361-1364, 1973.
30. Wenzel RP, Hendley JO, Sande MA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Revised (1972-1973) bivalent
influenza vaccine. Serum and nasal antibody responses to parenteral vaccination. JAMA 226:435-438, 1973.
31. Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinoviruses. Prepared for the Fogarty International Center Conferences on
Preventive Medicine Subcommittee on Communicable Diseases, May 15, 1973.
32. Calhoun AM, Jordan WS, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus infections in an industrial population.
V. Change in virus serotype. Am J Epidemiol 99:58-64, 1974.
33. Wenzel RP, Hendley JO, Davies JA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Coronavirus infection in military
recruits. Three-year study with coronavirus strains OC43 and 229E. Am Rev Resp Dis 109:621-624, 1974.
34. Joyce RA and Gwaltney JM Jr. A control ed trial of topical iodoxuridine for the treatment of
Herpes simplex stomatitis. Presented at the Eighth International Congress of Chemo-therapy, Athens, Greece, September 8-15, 1973. In "Progress in Chemotherapy 2:941-943 1974.
35. Hendley JO, Sande MA, Stewart PM, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Pneumococcal spread in families. I.
Carriage rates and distribution of types. J Infect Dis 132:55-61, 1975.
36. Gwaltney JM Jr, Sande MA, Austrian RC, and Hendley JO. Pneumococcal spread in families. II.
Transfer, acquisition, rhinovirus colds, and antibody responses. J Infect Dis 132:62-68, 1975.
37. Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinoviruses. Yale J Biol Med 48:17-45, 1975 and In "Viral Infections of Man:
Epidemiology and Control," Alfred Evans ed., Plenum Press, New York, 1976, pp 383-408; 2nd ed, l982, pp 49l-5l7.
38. Heirholzer JC, Atuk NO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. A new human adenovirus isolated from a renal
transplant recipient: Description of candidate adenovirus type 34. J Clin Microbiol 1:366-376, 1975.
39. Evans FO, Sydnor JB, Moore WEC, Moore GR, Manwaring JL, Bril AH, Jackson RT, Hanna S,
Skaar JS, Holdeman LV, Fitz-Hugh GS, Sande MA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Sinusitis of the maxil ary antrum. New Engl J Med 293:735-739, 1975.
40. Dilworth JA, Stewart PM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, and Sande MA. Methods to improve
detection of pneumococci in respiratory secretions. J Clin Micro 2:453-455, 1975.
41. Hamory BH, Hamparian VV, Conant RM, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Human responses to two
decavalent rhinovirus vaccines. J Infect Dis 132:623-629, 1975.
42. Wenzel RP, Hendley JO, Craven RB, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Antibody responses to
A/30-C/707 and A/X-37 influenza vaccines. Proceedings of the First International Congress to IAMS Science Council of Japan, 4:184-197, 1975.
43. Wenzel RP, Osterman CA, Hunting KJ, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Hospital-acquired infections. I.
Surveil ance in a university hospital. J Epidemiol 103:251-260, 1976.
44. Gwaltney JM Jr. The use of live attenuated influenza vaccine ts-l[E] in man. In "Develop-ments
in Biological Standardization," v 33, edited by the International Association of Biologi-cal Standardization; acting eds. RH Regamey (Geneva), W Hennessen (Marburg/Lahn), and FT Perkins (Geneva), S Karger, Basel, 1976, pp 178-183.
45. Strausbaugh LJ, Dilworth JA, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Sande MA. In vitro susceptibility studies with
josamycin and erythromycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 9:546548, 1976.
46. Ch'ien LT, Whitley RJ, Alford CA, and Galasso GJ in col aboration with Dolin R, Matteis MJ,
Soong S, Taber L, Overal J, Gwaltney JM Jr, Haynes R, Linnemann C, Schiff G, Liu C, Luby J, Schwarzman S, Visintine N, Nahmias A, and Buchanan R. Adenine arabinoside therapy of Herpes zoster in the immunosuppressed. NIAID Collaborative Antiviral Study. New Engl J Med 294:1193-1199, 1976 and J Infect Dis 133:A184-A191, 1976.
47. Thompson RL, Sande MA, Wenzel RP, Sipes JM, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Swine influenza infection
in civilians. Report of two cases. New Engl J Med 295:714-715, 1976.
48. Craven RB, Wenzel RP, Calhoun AM, Hendley JO, Hamory BH, and Gwaltney JM Jr.
Comparison of the sensitivity of two methods for isolation of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. J Clin Microbiol 4:225-226, 1976.
49. Wenzel RP, Craven RB, Davies JA, Hendley JO, Hamory BH, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Field trial of
an inactivated Mycoplasma pneumoniae vaccine. I. Vaccine efficacy. J Infect Dis 134: 571- 576, 1976.
50. Richman DD, Murphy BR, Chanock RM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Douglas RG, Betts RF, Blacklow NR,
Rose FB, Parrino TA, Levine MM, and Caplan ES. Temperature sensitive mutants of influenza A virus. XII. Safety, antigenicity, transmissibility, and efficacy of influenza A/Udorn/ 72-ts-1-[E] recombinant temperature sensitive viruses in adult volunteers. J Infect Dis 134:585-594, 1976.
51. Cherry JD, Couch RB, Cate TR, Douglas RG, Hall CB, Foy HM, Fox JP, Gross PA, Gwaltney JM
Jr, Karzon DT, Wright PF, Katz S, Lerman SJ, Levine MM, McIntosh K, Parrott RH, Kim HW, Smith DH, Modlin J, Sumaya CV, Brunel PA, Dolin R, Ennis FA, Edleman R, Eickhoff TC, Noble G, Smith CD, Top FH Jr, and Russell PK. Summary of Clinical Trials of Influenza Vaccines. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of the National Institutes of Health, the
Center for Disease Control, and the Bureau of Biologics of the Food and Drug Administration. J Infect Dis 134:100-107, 1976.
52. Suratt PM, Gwaltney JM Jr and Sande MA. A rapid method of disinfecting the bronchofiber-
scope. Am Rev Resp Dis 114:11981200, 1976.
53. Wenzel RP, Hendley JO, Dodd WK, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Comparison of josamycin and
erythromycin in the therapy of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 10:899-901, 1976.
54. Gwaltney JM Jr, DeSanctis AN, Metzgar DP, and Hendley JO. Systemic reactions to influenza
B vaccine. Am J Epidemiol 105:252-260, 1977.
55. Wenzel RP, Craven RB, Davies JA, Hendley JO, Hamory BH, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Protective
efficacy of an inactivated Mycoplasma pneumoniae vaccine. J Infect Dis (Suppl) 136:204-207, 1977.
56. Whitely RJ, Soong S-J, Dolin R, Galasso GJ, Ch'ien LT, Alford CA, Mattheis M, Hurst D, Overal
J, Gwaltney JM Jr, Haynes R, Hilty M, Linnemann C, Body A, Schiff G, Merigan T, Liu C, Hinthorn D, Baker L, Luby J, Schwartzmann S, Visintine A, Nahmias A, Connor J, Bryson Y, Ho M, Norden C, Hirsch M, Karchmer A, Tilles J, Chow A, Kieff E, Orel ana T, Gardner M, Buchanan R, and Petrick T. Adenine arabinoside therapy of biopsy-proved Herpes simplex encephalitis. NIAID Collaborative Antiviral Study. New Engl J Med 297: 289-294, 1977.
57. Taylor CA, Hendley JO, Greer KA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Topical treatment of Herpes labialis
with chloroform. Arch Dermatol 113:1550-1552, 1977.
58. Hamory BH, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus growth in nasal polyp organ culture.
Proc Soc Exper Biol Med 155:577-582, 1977.
59. Gwaltney JM Jr, Adams KF, and Hendley JO. Acceptability and antigenicity of A/Victoria
influenza vaccine in adults of different ages. J Infect Dis (Suppl) 136:491-495, 1977.
60. Craven RB, Brooks JB, Edman DC, Converse JD, Greenlee J, Schlossberg D, Furlow T,
Gwaltney JM Jr, and Miner WF. Rapid diagnosis of lymphocytic meningitis by frequency- pulsed electron capture gas-liquid chromatography: Differentiation of tuberculous, cryptococ-cal, and viral meningitis. J Clin Microbiol 6:27-32, 1977.
61. Eggleston PA, Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr, Eggleston AW, and Leavell BS Jr. Histamine in
nasal secretions. Internat'l Arch All Appl Immunol 57:193-200, 1978.
62. Gwaltney JM Jr, Moskalski PB, and Hendley JO. Hand to hand transmission of rhinovirus colds.
Annls Int Med 88:463-467, 1978.
63. Miller J, Sande MA, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Hendley JO. Diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumo-nia
by antigen detection in sputum. J Clin Microbiol 7:459-462, 1978.
64. Gwaltney JM Jr and Hendley JO. Rhinovirus transmission: One if by air, two if by hand. Am
J Epidemiol 107:357-36l, 1978 and In the "American Clinical and Climatological Association (presentation, 1977) 89:194-200, 1978.
65. Rein MF, Gwaltney JM Jr, O'Brien WM, Jennings RH, and Mandell GL. Accuracy of the Gram
stain in identifying pneumococci in sputum. JAMA 239:2671-2674, 1978.
66. Gwaltney JM Jr, Sydnor TA Jr, Hamory BH, Seale DL, and Sande MA. Ear, nose, throat, and
respiratory infections. Controlled trial of trimethoprim-sulfa in the treatment of acute maxil ary sinusitis. Proceedings of the Tenth International Congress of Chemotherapy. Current Chemo 1978, pp. 120-121.
67. Silver AR, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Mandel ML. Migration of leukocytes to human nasal mucosa. J
Lab Clin Med 92:556-559, 1978.
68. Hendley JO, Mika LA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Evaluation of virucidal compounds for inactiva-tion
of rhinovirus on hands. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 14:690-694, 1978.
69. Hamory BH, Sande MA, Sydnor A Jr, Seale DL, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Etiology and antimi-
crobial therapy of acute maxil ary sinusitis. J Infect Dis 139:197-202, 1979.
70. Gwaltney JM Jr. Managing the common cold and related infections. J Resp Dis 1(2):42-53,
71. Gwaltney JM Jr. Early diagnosis and management of sinusitis and otitis. J Resp Dis 1(3): 40-
72. Gwaltney JM Jr. Influenza vaccine. In "Lawyers' Cyclopedia Supplement 34.25 (G) 1980
Service, pp 83-84.2.
73. Gwaltney JM Jr. Epidemiology of the common cold. In "Air-born Contagion," NY Acad Sci
74. Ahtone J, Allen WP, Bachmayer H, Baublis J, Bean W, Bick K, Blackburn R, Bozeman M,
Bracket R, Brandling-Bennett A, Brandt C, Cate T, Chanock R, Cherry J, Choppin P, Cohen B, Compans R, Couch R, Crevling W, Crocker J, Curlin G, Dalton R, Daniel N, Dasco C, Dayton D, Dieckman J, Dolin R, Donovan M, Douglas RG, Dowdle W, Dubovi E, Dunnick J, Ennis F, Fish M, Fox J, Foy H, Freudenberger T, Fukumi H, Galasso G, Gay W,George J, George L, Gerin J, Glezen WP, Goodman R, Gross P, Gwaltney J, Hall C, Hall W, Haller J, Halsey N, Henderson F, Hilleman M, Hilty M, Hinshaw V, et al. Summary of a Workshop on Influenza B Viruses and Reye's Syndrome, NIAID-NIH, July 30-3l, 1979. J Infect Dis 142: 452-465, 1980.
75. Carter CH, Hendley JO, Mika LA, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus inactivation by aqueous
iodine in vitro and on skin. Proc Soc Exper Biol Med 165:380-383, 1980.
76. Gwaltney JM Jr, Moskalski PB, and Hendley JO. Interruption of experimental rhinovirus
transmission. J Infect Dis 142:811-815, 1980.
77. Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr, Van de Castle RL, Adams KF, and Giordani B. Comparative
toxicity of amantadine HCL and rimantadine HCL in healthy adults. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 19:226-233, 1981.
78. Gwaltney JM Jr, Sydnor A, Jr, and Sande MA. Etiology and antimicrobial treatment of acute
sinusitis in adults. Annls Otol Rhinol Laryngol 90:68-71, 1981.
79. Gwaltney JM Jr. Problems in the diagnosis and management of acute maxil ary sinusitis. Int
Med 2:39-43, 1981.
80. Hankins WA, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Farquhar JD, and Samuelson JS. Clinical and
serological evaluation of a meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine Groups A, C, Y, and W135. Proc Soc Exper Biol Med 169:54-57, 1982.
81. Turner RB, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Shedding of infected ciliated cel s in rhinovirus
colds. J Infect Dis 145:849-853, 1982.
82. Halperin SA, Suratt PM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Gröschel DHM, Hendley JO, and Eggleston PA.
Bacterial cultures of the lower respiratory tract in normal volunteers with and without experi- mental rhinovirus infection using a plugged double catheter system. Am Rev Resp Dis 125: 678-680, 1982.
83. Hayden FG and Gwaltney JM Jr. Prophylactic activity of intranasal enviroxime against
experimentally induced rhinovirus type 39 infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 21:892-897, 1982.
84. Powers RD, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Hayden FG. Activity of MDL-862-(3,4 dichlorophenoxy)-5-
nitrobenzonitrile (MDL 860) against picornavirus in vitro. Antimicrob Agenets Chemo 22:639- 642, 1982.
85. Kuhn JJ, Hendley JO, Adams KF, Clark JW, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Antitussive effect of
guaifenesin in young adults with natural colds. Objective and subjective assessment. Chest 82:713-718, 1982.
86. Gwaltney JM Jr and Hendley JO. Transmission of experimental rhinovirus infection by
contaminated surfaces. Am J Epidemiol 116:828-833, 1982.
87. Hayden FG and Gwaltney JM Jr. Anti nterferon antibody increases rhinovirus isolation rates
from nasal wash specimens containing interferon-alpha2. Antiviral Res 3:67-71, 1983.
88. Farr B, Scheld M, Gwaltney JM Jr, Sydnor A, and Sande, MA. Bacampicil in HCl in the
treatment of acute maxil ary sinusitis. Bul NY Acad Med 59:477-481, 1983.
89. Hayden FG and Gwaltney JM Jr. Intranasal interferon-alpha2 for the prevention of rhinovirus
infection and illness. J Infect Dis 143:543-550, 1983.
90. Quinnan GV, Schooley R, Dolin R, Ennis FA, Gross P, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Serologic
responses and systemic reactions in adults after vaccination with monovalent A/USSR/77 and trivalent A/USSR/77, A/Texas/77, B/Hong Kong/72 influenza vaccines. Rev Infect Dis 5:748-757, 1983.
91. Halperin SA, Eggleston PA, Hendley JO, Suratt PM, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Pathogenesis of
lower respiratory tract symptoms in experimental rhinovirus infection. Amer Rev Resp Dis 128:806-810, 1983.
92. Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus colds: epidemiology, clinical characteristics, and transmission.
Proceedings of a Symposium on Cellular and Neurogenic Mechanisms in Nose and Bronchi held in Copenhagen, Denmark, May 24-27, 1982. Eur J Resp 64 (S128):336-339, 1983.
93. Gwaltney JM Jr. Acute sinusitis in adults. Amer J Otolaryngol 4:422-423, 1983.
94. Farr B, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hayden FG, and Mandel GL. Human polymorphonuclear neutrophil
functions are unaffected by human interferonalpha2. Infect & Immun 42:1195-1197, 1983.
95. Whitely RJ, Spruance S, Hayden FG, Overal J, Alford CA Jr, Gwaltney JM Jr, Soong S-J, and
the NIAID Collaborative Antiviral Study Group. Vidarabine therapy of mucocutaneous herpes simplex virus infections in the immunocompromised host. J Infect Dis 149:1-8, 1984.
96. Powers RD, Hayden FG, Samuelson J, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Immune response of adults to
sequential influenza vaccination. J Med Virol 14:169-175, 1984.
97. Farr BM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Adams KF, and Hayden FG. Intranasal interferon-alpha2 for
prevention of natural rhinovirus colds. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 26:31-34, 1984.
98. Hayden GF, Jordan JR, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Hendley JO. The effect of diet upon the pH of
respiratory secretions. Nutrition Res 4:733-735, 1984.
99. Hayden FG and Gwaltney JM Jr. Intranasal interferon-alpha2 treatment of experimental
rhinoviral colds. J Infect Dis 150:174-180, 1984.
100. Hayden GF, DeForest D, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Inactivation of rhinovirus on human
fingers by virucidal activity of glutaric acid. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 26: 928-929, 1984.
101. Turner RB and Gwaltney JM Jr. Introduction. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Suppl (Stockh) 413:5-7,
102. Turner RB, Winther B, Hendley JO, Mygind N, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Sites of virus recovery and
antigen detection in epithelial cel s during experimental rhinovirus infection. Acta Oto- Laryngologica Suppl (Stockh) 413:9-14, 1984.
103. Winther B, Farr B, Turner RB, Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr., and Mygind N. Histopathologic
examination and enumeration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes in the nasal mucosa during experimental rhinovirus colds. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Suppl (Stockh) 413:19-24, 1984.
104. Eggleston PA, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney, JM Jr. Mediators of immediate hypersensitivity in
nasal secretions during natural colds and rhinovirus colds. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Suppl (Stockh) 413:25-35, 1984.
105. Suratt PM, Gwaltney, JM Jr., and Eggleston, PA. Measurement of partial flow volume curves in
volunteers with experimental rhinovirus infection. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Suppl (Stockh) 413:37-41, 1984.
106. Gwaltney JM Jr., Hendley JO, and Mygind N. Summary. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Suppl
(Stockh) 413:43-45, 1984.
107. Gwaltney, JM Jr. The Jeremiah Metzger Lecture: Climatology and the common cold. Trans
Amer Clin Climatol Assoc 96:159-175, 1984.
108. Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Johns ME. Prophylactic efficacy and tolerance of low dose
intranasal interferon-alpha2 in natural respiratory viral infections. Antiviral Res 5:111-116, 1985.
109. Hayden GF, Gwaltney JM Jr, Thacker DF, and Hendley JO. Rhinovirus inactivation by nasal
tissues treated with virucide. Antiviral Res 5:103-109, 1985.
110. Hayden GF, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. The effect of placebo and virucidal paper
handkerchiefs on viral contamination of the hand and transmission of experimental rhinoviral infection. J Infect Dis 152:403-407, 1985.
111. Halperin SA, Eggleston PA, Beasley P, Suratt PM, Hendley JO, Gröschel DHM, and Gwaltney
JM Jr. Exacerbations of asthma in adults during experimental rhinovirus infection. Am Rev Respir Dis 132:976-980, 1985.
112. Gwaltney JM Jr. Virology and immunology of the common cold. Rhinology 23:265-271, 1985.
113. Hayden FG, Albrecht JK, Kaiser DL, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Prevention of natural colds by
contact prophylaxis with intranasal interferonalpha2. New Engl J Med 314:71-75, 1986.
114. Hayden FG and Gwaltney JM Jr. Correspondence. Efficacy of alpha-interferon against the
common cold. New Engl J Med 315:513-514, 1986.
115. Scheld WM, Sydnor A Jr, Farr B, Gratz JC, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Comparison of cyclacil in with
amoxicillin in the therapy of acute maxil ary sinusitis. Antimicro Agents Chemother 30:350-353, 1986.
116. Winther B, Gwaltney JM Jr, Mygind N, Turner RB, and Hendley JO. Sites of rhinovirus
recovery after point-inoculation of the upper airway. J Amer Med Assoc 256:1763-1767, 1986.
117. Gaffey MJ, Gwaltney JM Jr, Dressler WE, Sorrentino JV, and Hayden FG. Intranasal atropine
methonitrate treatment of experimental rhinovirus colds. Amer Rev Respir Dis 135: 241-244, 1987.
118. Hamparian VV, Colonno RJ, Cooney MK, Dick EC, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hughes JH, Jordan WS Jr,
et al. A col aborative report: rhinoviruses—extension of the numbering system from 89 to 100. Virology 159:191-192, 1987.
119. Farr BM and Gwaltney JM Jr. The problems of taste in placebo matching: An evaluation of zinc
gluconate for the common cold. J Chronic Dis 40:875-879, 1987.
120. Farr BM, Conner EM, Betts RF, Olekse J, Minnefor A, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Two rando-mized
control ed trials of zinc gluconated lozenge therapy of experimentally induced rhino-virus colds. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 31:1183-1187, 1987.
121. Gaffey MJ, Gwaltney JM Jr, Sastre A, Dressler WE, Sorrentino JV, and Hayden FG. Intra-
nasally and orally administered antihistamine treatment of experimental rhinovirus colds. Amer Rev Respir Dis 135:556-560, 1987.
122. Naclerio RM, Proud D, Lichtenstein LM, Kagey-Sobotka A, Hendley JO, Sorrentino J, and
Gwaltney JM. Kinins are generated during experimental rhinovirus colds. J Infect Dis 157: 133- 142, 1988.
123. Naclerio RM, Proud D, Kagey-Sobotka A, Lichtenstein LM, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr.
Is histamine responsible for the symptoms of rhinovirus colds? A look at the inflamma-tory mediators following infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J 7:218-222, 1988.
124. Doyle WJ, McBride TP, Skoner DP, Maddern BR, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Uhrin M. A double blind
placebo-controlled clinical trial of the effect of chlorpheniramine on the response of the nasal airway, middle ear and eustachian tube to provocative rhinovirus chal enge. Pediatr Infect Dis J 7:229-238, 1988.
125. Kennedy PB and Gwaltney JM Jr. The detection of blood on gloved hands of Central Sterile
Supply personnel and cleaned instruments used for procedures on patient units. Infect Control, 9:117-118, 1988.
126. Childress JF, Gwaltney JP Jr, Keeling RP, and Thorup OA Jr. Screening for AIDS virus: What
should we do?—A panel discussion. The Pharos of Alpha Omega Alpha, 51:33-37, 1988.
127. Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Colonno RJ. Modification of experimental rhinovirus colds by
receptor blockade. Antiviral Res 9:233-247, 1988.
128. Hendley JO and Gwaltney JM Jr. Mechanisms of transmission of rhinovirus infections.
Epidemiol Rev 10:242-258, 1988.
129. Farr BM, Hendley JO, Kaiser DL, Gwaltney JM Jr. Two randomized control ed trials of virucidal
nasal tissues in the prevention of upper respiratory infections. Amer J Epidemiol 128:1162- 1172, 1988.
130. Gaffey MJ, Hayden FG, Boyd JC, Gwaltney JM Jr. Ipratropium bromide treatment of
experimental rhinovirus infection. Antimicrobial Agents Chemother 32:1644-1647, 1988.
131. Doyle WJ, McBride TP, Hayden FG, and Gwaltney JM Jr. The response of the nasal airway,
middle ear and eustachian tube to experimental rhinovirus infection. Amer J Rhinol 2:149-154, 1988.
132. Gwaltney JM Jr. Viral vaccines in the control of otitis media. Workshop on Vaccines for Otitis
Media, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 9/1/88. Pediatr Infect Dis J 8:578-579, 1989.
133. Miller PJ, Farr BM, and Gwaltney JM. The economic benefits of an effective infection control
program: A case study and proposal. Rev Infect Dis 11:284-288, 1989.
134. McBride, TP, Doyle WJ, Hayden FG, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Alterations of eustachian tube,
middle ear and nose in rhinovirus infection. Arch Otolaryngol-Head & Neck Surgery 115:1054- 1059, 1989.
135. Proud D, Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Naclerio RM. Recent studies on the rule of kinins in
inflammatory diseases of human airways. Adv Exper Med Biol 247A:117-123, 1989.
136. Sydnor A Jr, Gwaltney JM Jr, Cocchetto DM, and Scheld WM. Comparative evaluation of
cefuroxime axetil and cefaclor for therapy of acute bacterial maxil ary sinusitis. Arch Otolarngol Head & Neck 115:1430-1433, 1989.
137. Proud D, Naclerio RM, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Kinins are generated in nasal
secretions during natural rhinovirus colds. J Infect Dis 161:120-123, 1990.
138. Winther B, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Hendley JO. Respiratory virus infection of monolayer cultures
of human nasal epithelial cel s. Amer Rev Respir Dis 141:839-845, 1990.
139. Farr BM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Hayden FG, Naclerio RM, McBride T, Doyle WJ,
Sorrentino JV, and Proud D. A randomized control ed trial of glucocorticoid prophylaxis against experimental rhinovirus infection. J Infect Dis 162:1173-1177, 1990.
140. Winther B and Gwaltney JM Jr. Therapeutic approach to sinusitis: Anti nfectious therapy as the
baseline of management. Otolaryngol - Head & Neck Surg (S) 103:876-879, 1990.
141. de Arruda E, Mifflin TE, Gwaltney JM Jr, Winther B, and Hayden FG. Localization of rhinovirus
replication in vitro with in situ
hybridization. J Med Virol 34:38-44, 1991.
142. de Arruda E, Hayden FG, McAuliffe JF, de Sousa MA, Mota SB, Giest FC, Guerrant RL, and
Gwaltney JM Jr. Acute respiratory viral infections in ambulatory children of urban northeast Brazil. J Infect Dis 164:252-258, 1991.
143. Gwaltney JM Jr and Hayden FG. Letter to the Editor. Response to psychological stress and
susceptibility to the common cold. N Engl J Med 326:644-645, 1992.
144. Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Fireman P, Seroky JT, Green I, Ruben F, Kardatzke DR, and Gwaltney
JM Jr. Rhinovirus 39 infection in allergic and non-allergic subjects. J All Clin Immun 89:968- 978, 1992.
145. Parekh HH, Cragun KT, Hayden FG, Hendley JO, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Nasal mucus weights
in experimental rhinovirus infection. Am J Rhinol 6,3:107-110, 1992.
146. Sydnor TA, Scheld WM, Gwaltney J Jr, Nielsen RW, Huck W, and DG Therasse. Loracar-bef
(LY163892) versus amoxicil in/clavulanate in bacterial maxil ary sinusitis. Ear, Nose, Throat J 71:225-232, 1992.
147. Sperber SJ, Hendley JO, Hayden FG, Riker DK, Sorrentino JV, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Effects of
naproxen in experimental rhinovirus colds. Annls Int Med 117:37-41, 1992.
148. Gwaltney JM Jr, Scheld WM, Sande MA, and Sydnor A. The microbial etiology and
antimicrobial therapy of adults with acute community acquired sinusitis: A 15-year experience at the University of Virginia and review of other selected studies. J Allergy Clin Immunol 90:457- 462, 1992.
149. Turner BW, Cail WS, Hendley JO, Hayden FG, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Physiologic abnormali-ties
in the paranasal sinuses during experimental rhinovirus colds. J Allergy Clin Immunol 90:474- 478, 1992.
150. Gwaltney JM Jr. Combined antiviral and antimediator treatment for common colds. J Infect Dis
151. Stone AA, Bovbjerg DH, Neale JM, Napoli A, Valdimarsdottir H, Cox D, Hayden FG, and
Gwaltney JM Jr. Development of common cold symptoms following experimental rhinovirus infection is related to prior stressful life events. Behavioral Med 18:115-120, 1992.
152. Doyle SJ, Riker DK, McBride TP, Hendley JO, Swarts JG, Hayden FG, and Gwaltney JM Jr.
Therapeutic effects of an anticholinergic-sympathomimetic combination in induced rhino-virus colds. Annl Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 102:521-527, 1993.
153. Thwing CJ, Filho JPBV, de Arruda E Neto, Filho AC, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus anti-body
in an "isolated" Amazon Indian tribe. Am J Tropical Med Hyg. 48(6):771-775, 1993.
154. Gwaltney JM Jr, Phil ips CD, Miller RD, and Riker DK. Computed tomographic study of the
common cold. N Engl J Med 330:25-30, 1994.
155. Hendley JO, Abbott RD, Beasley PB, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Effect of inhalation of hot humidified
air on experimental rhinovirus (RV) infections. J Am Med Assoc 271:1112-1113, 1994.
156. Gilden DH, Wright RR, Schneck SA, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Mahalingam R. Zoster sine herpete,
a clinical variant. Annl Neurol 35:530-533, 1994.
157. Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Seroky JT, Fireman P, and Gwaltney JM Jr. Effect of experimental
rhinovirus 39 infection on the nasal response to histamine and cold, dry air chal enges in allergic and non-allergic subjects. J Allergy Clin Immunol 93:534-542, 1994.
158. Proud D, Gwaltney JM Jr., Hendley JO, Dinarello CA, Gillis S, Schleimer RP. Increased levels
of interleukin-1 are detected in nasal secretions of volunteers during experimental rhinovirus colds. J Infect Dis 169:1007-1013, 1994.
159. Gwaltney JM Jr, Phil ips CD, Riker DK. Response to Letters, CT scans and the common cold?
N Engl J Med 330:1826-1827, 1994.
160. Gwaltney JM Jr. The common cold. Internat'l Pharm J 8:4-6, 1994.
161. Buckman CA, Doyle WJ, Skoner D, Fireman P, Gwaltney JM Jr. Otologic manifestations of
experimental rhinovirus infection. Laryngoscope 104:1295-1299, 1994.
162. Cohen S, Gwaltney JM Jr, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Fireman P, and Newsom JT. State and trait
negative affect as predictors of objective and subjective symptoms of a common cold. J Personality Soc Psycho 68:159-169, 1995.
163. Rao SS, Hendley JO, Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr. Symptom expression in natural and
experimental rhinovirus colds. Am J Rhinol 9:49-52, 1995.
164. Arruda E, Boyle TR, Winther B, Pevear DC, Gwaltney JM Jr, and Hayden FG. Localization of
human rhinovirus replication in the upper respiratory tract by in situ
hybridization. J Infect Dis 171:1329-1333, 1995.
165. Gwaltney JM Jr. Wade Hampton Frost, M.D.: A wider view of the world. VA Med Month
166. Draf W, Lusk RP, Friedman WH, MacKay IS, Gwaltney JM Jr, Moriyama H, Hoffman SR,
Naclerio RM, Huizing EH, Stankiewicz JA, Jones JG, Van Cauwenberge P, Jones JK, Vining EM, Kennedy DW. Quantification for staging sinusitis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 104,167(S):17-21, 1995.
167. Gwaltney JM Jr, Jones JG, Kennedy DW. Medical management of sinusitis: Educational goals
and management guidelines. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 104,167(S):22-30, 1995.
168. Gwaltney JM Jr. Rhinovirus infection of the normal human airway. Am J Resp Crit Care Med
169. Zhu Z, Tang W, Ray A, Wu Y, Einarsson O, Landry M, Gwaltney J Jr, Elias JA. Rhinovirus
stimulation of interleukin-6 in vivo
and in vitro
: Evidence for NF-6B-dependent transcriptional activation. J Clin Invest 97:421-430, 1996.
170. Sheretz RJ, Reagan DR, Hampton KD, Robertson KL, Streed SA, Hoen HM, Thomas R, and
Gwaltney JM Jr. A Cloud Adult: The Staphylococcus aureus
- viral interaction revisited. Ann Int Med 124:539-547, 1996.
171. Gwaltney JM Jr, Park J, Paul RA, Edelman DA, O'Connor RR, Turner RB. A randomized
control ed trial of clemastine fumarate for treatment of experimental rhinovirus colds. Clin Infect Dis 22:656-662, 1996.
172. Gustafson LM, Proud D, Hendley JO, Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr. Oral prednisone therapy in
experimental rhinovirus infections. J Allergy Clin Immunol 97:1009-1014, 1996.
173. Gwaltney JM Jr, Buier RM, Rogers JL. The influence of signal variation, bias, noise, and effect
size on statistical significance in treatment studies of the common cold. Antiviral Res 29:287- 295, 1996.
174. Apler CM, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Buchman CA, Seroky JT, Gwaltney JM, Cohen SA.
Prechal enge antibodies: moderators of infection rate, signs, and symptoms in adults experimentally chal enged with rhinovirus type 39. Laryngoscope 106:1298-1305, 1996.
175. Gwaltney JM Jr. Acute community-acquired sinusitis. State-of-the-Art. Clin Infect Dis
176. Harris JM II, Gwaltney JM Jr. The incubation period of experimental rhinovirus infection and
illness. Clin Infect Dis 23:1287-1290, 1996.
177. Gwaltney JM Jr. Clinical and mechianistic perspectives on acute self-limited cough. Fed
Internat'l Pharm (Suppl) 11:5-10, 1997.
178. Gwaltney JM Jr. Sinusitis: Pathogenesis and antimicrobial resistance. Hosp Med 33(2S): 35-
179. Hornsby PP, Reeve RH, Gwaltney JM Jr, Parsons B, Morse RM. The University of Virginia
worksite health promotion program. Am J Prev Med 13:36-44, 1997.
180. Cohen S, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Rabin BS, Gwaltney JM Jr. Social ties and susceptibility to
the common cold. JAMA 277:1940-1944, 1997.
181. Gwaltney JM Jr, Savolainen S, Rivas P, Schenk P, Scheld WM, Sydnor A, Keyserling C, Leigh
A, Tack KJ, and the Cefdinir Sinusitis Study Group. Comparative effectiveness and safety of cefdinir and amoxicillin/clavulanate in the treatment of acute community-acquired bacterial sinusitis. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 41:1517-1520, 1997.
182. Gwaltney JM Jr, Halstead SB. Contagiousness of the common cold. Questions and Answers.
JAMA 278:256, 1997.
183. Kaliner MA, Osguthorpe JD, Fireman P, Anon J, Georgitis J, Davis ML, Naclerio R, Kennedy D,
Gwaltney JM Jr, et al. Sinusitis: bench to bedside. Otolaryngol-Head and Neck Surgery, 116(6):S1-S20, 1997 and J Allergy Clin Immunol 99:S829-S848, 1997.
184. Winther B, Greve JM, Gwaltney JM Jr, Innes DJ, Eastham JR, McClel and A, Hendley JO.
Surface expression of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 on epithelial cel s in the human adenoid. J Infect Dis 176:523-525, 1997.
185. Bisno AL, Gerber MA, Gwaltney JM Jr, Kaplan EL, Schwartz RH. Group A streptococcal
pharyngitis: Diagnosis and management. A practice guideline. Clin Infect Dis 25:574-583, 1997.
186. Turner RB, Sperber SJ, Sorrentino JV, O'Connor RR, Batouli AR, Gwaltney JM Jr. Effec-
tiveness of clemastine fumarate for treatment of rhinorrhea and sneezing associated with the common cold. Clin Infect Dis 25:824-830, 1997.
187. Gwaltney JM Jr, Druce HM. Efficacy of brompheniramine maleate for the treatment of
rhinovirus colds. Clin Infect Dis 25:1188-1194, 1997.
188. Lund VJ, Gwaltney J Jr, Baquero F, Echols R, Kennedy D, Klossek J-M, Mackay I, Mann W,
Ohnishi T, Stammberger H, Vining E, Wald E. Infectious rhinosinusitis in adults: classifica-Tien,
etiology and management. ENT J(Suppl) 76:3-22, 1997.
189. Zhu Z, Tang W, Gwaltney J Jr, Elias JA. Rhinovirus stimulation of interleukin-8 in vivo
: role of NF-6B. Amer J Physiol 273 (Lung Cellular Molecular Physiol) 17:L814-L824, 1997.
190. Gwaltney JM Jr. "Where's the bias?" Response. Letter. Ann Int Med 128:75, 1998.
191. Jefferies WMcK, Turner JC, Lobo M, Gwaltney JM Jr. Low plasma ACTH in acute influenza.
Clin Infect Dis 26:708-710, 1998.
192. Winther B, Gwaltney JM Jr, Mygind N, Hendley JO. Viral-induced rhinitis. Am J Rhinol 9:17-
193. Cohen S, Frank E, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Rabin BS, Gwaltney JM Jr. Types of stressful life
events that increase susceptibility to the common cold. Health Psychology 17:214-223, 1998.
194. Sistrom MG, Coyner BJ, Gwaltney JM Jr, Farr BM. Frequency of percutaneous injuries
requiring postexposure prophylaxis for occupational exposure to human immunodeficiency virus. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 19:504-506, 1998.
195. Alper CM, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Buchman CA, Cohen S, Gwaltney JM Jr. Pre-chal enge
antibodies moderate disease expression in adults experimentally exposed to rhinovirus strain Hanks. Clin Inf Dis 27:119-128, 1998.
196. Gwaltney JM, Jr. Use of cedfinir in acute community-acquired bacterial sinusitis. Infect Dis Clin
Prac 7(2 Suppl):S90-S91, 1998.
197. Gwaltney JM Jr. Acute community-acquired bacterial sinusitis. To treat or not to treat. Can
Resp J 6:46A-50A, 1999.
198. Yoon HJ, Zhu Z, Gwaltney JM Jr, Elias JA. Rhinovirus regulation of IL-1 receptor antagonist in
and in vitro
:A potential mechanism of symptom resolution. J Immunol 162:7461-7469, 1999.
199. Feldman P, Cohen S, Doyle WJ, Skoner DP, Gwaltney JM Jr. The impact of personality on the
reporting of unfounded symptoms and illness related to the common cold. J Personality Social Psychology 77:370-378, 1999.
200. Mygind N, Gwaltney JM, Winther B, Hendley O. The common cold and asthma. Allergy
201. Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Phil ips CD, Bass CR, Mygind N, Winther B. Nose blowing propels
nasal fluid into the paranasal sinuses. Clin Infect Dis 30:387-391, 2000.
202. Munoz FM, Galasso GJ, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hayden FG, Murphy B, Webster R, Wright P, Couch
RB. Current Research on Influenza and other respiratory viruses: II International December 10- 12, 1999 [Review]. Antiviral Res.46:91-124, 2000.
203. Niehaus, MD, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Newman MJ, Heymann PW, Rakes GP, Platts-Mills
TAE, and Guerrant RL. Lactoferrin and eosinophilic cationic protein in nasal secretions of patients with experimental rhinovirus colds, natural colds, and presumed acute community- acquired bacterial sinusitis. J Clin Microbiol 38:3100-3102, 2000.
204. Lee CG, Yoon HJ, Zhu Z, Link H, Wang Z, Gwaltney JM Jr, Landry M, Elias JA. Respiratory
syncytial virus stimulation of vascular endothelial cel growth factor/vascular permeability factor. Am J Respir Cell Molecular Biol 23:662-669, 2000.
205. Sperber SJ, Turner RB, Sorrentino JV, O'Connor RR, Rogers J, Gwaltney, JM Jr. Effec-
tiveness of pseudoephedrine plus acetaminophen for treatment of symptoms attributed to the paranasal sinuses associated with the common cold. Arch Family Med 9:979-985, 2000.
206. Gwaltney JM Jr. Cultivation of the intellect. The Beta Theta Pi Magazine
. Page 4, Spring
207. Schlosser RJ, Gwaltney JM Jr, Gross CW. Microbiology of chronic frontal sinusitis.
Laryngoscope 111:1330-1332, 2001.
208. Muether PS, Gwaltney JM Jr. Variant effect of first and second generation antihistamines as
clues to their mechanism of action on the sneeze reflex in the common cold. Clin Infect Dis 33:1483-1488, 2001.
209. Winther B, Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr, Humphries JE, Hendley JO. Cross-linked fibrin in the
nasal fluid of patients with the common cold. Clin Infect Dis 34:708-710, 2002.
210. Gwaltney JM Jr. Clinical significance and pathogenesis of viral respiratory infections. Am J
Med 112/S6A:13S-18S, 2002.
211. Gwaltney JM Jr. Viral Respiratory therapy: Historical perspectives and current trials. Am J Med
212. Bisno AL, Gerber MA, Gwaltney JM Jr, Kaplan EL, Schwartz RH. Practice guidelines for the
diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis. Clin Infect Dis 35:113-125, 2002.
213. Gwaltney JM Jr, Winther B, Patrie JT, Hendley JO. Combined antiviral-antimediator treatment
for the common cold. J Infect Dis 186:147-154, 2002.
214. Gwaltney JM Jr. Supplement Overview. Review of recent sinusitis publications.
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 127:S1-S2 2002.
215. Gwaltney JM Jr. Management update of acute bacterial rhinosinusitis and the use of cefdinir.
Otolaryngology-Head Neck Surg 127:S24-S29, 2002.
216. Gwaltney JM Jr, Hendley JO, Patrie JT. Symptom severity patterns in experimental common
colds and their usefulness in timing onset of illness in natural colds. Clin Infect Dis 36:714-723, 2003.
217. Zambrano JC, Holliday T, Carper BS, Rakes GP, Patrie J, Murphy DD, Platts-Mills TAE,
Hayden FG, Gwaltney JM Jr, Hatley TK, Owens AM, Heymann PW. Experimental rhinovirus challenges in adults with mild asthma: Response to infection in relation to IgE. J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:1008-1016, 2003.
218. Hayden FG, Turner RB, Gwaltney JM, Chi-Burris K, Gersten M, Hsyu P, Patrick AK, Smith GJ
III, Zalman LS. Phase II, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies of ruprintrivir nasal spray 2% suspension for the prevention and treatment of experimentally induced rhinovirus colds in healthy volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemo 47:3907-3916, 2003.
219. Gwaltney JM Jr., Wiesinger BA, Patrie JT. Acute community-acquired bacterial sinusitis: the
value of antimicrobial treatment and the natural history. Clin Infect Dis 38:227-233, 2004.
220. Hendley JO, Gwaltney JM Jr. Viral titers in nasal lining fluid compared to viral titers in nasal
washes during experimental rhinovirus infection. J Clin Virol 30:326-328, 2004.
221. Sande MA, Gwaltney JM Jr. Acute community acquired bacterial sinusitis: Continuing
chal enges and current management. Clin Infect Dis 39(Suppl 3):S151-S158, 2004.
222. Bachert C, Baraniuk J, Baroody FM, Benninger MS, Brook I, Chowdhury BA, Druce HM,
Durham S, Ferguson B, Gwaltney JM Jr, Kaliner M, Kennedy DW, Lund V, Naclerio R, Pawankar R, Picciril o JF, Rohane P, Simon R, Slavin RG, Togias A, Wald ER, Zinreich J. Editors: EO Meltzer, DL Hamilos, JA Hadley, DC Lanza, Marple BF, Nicklas RA. Rhinosinusitis: Establishing definitions for clinical research and patient care. J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:S156-S212, 2004 and Otolaryngo-Head and Neck Surg 131:S1-S62, 2004.
223. Winther B, Gwaltney JM Jr, Phil ips CD, Hendley JO. Radioopaque contrast in nasopharynx
reaches the middle ear during swal owing and/or yawning. Acta Oto-Laryngologica 125:1-4, 2005.
224. Caruso TJ, Gwaltney JM Jr. Treatment of the common cold with echinacea: A structured
review. Clin Infect Dis 40:807-810, 2005.
225. Bassetti S, Bischoff WE, Walter M, Bassetti-Wyss BA, Mason L, Reboussin BA, D'Agostino RB
Jr, Gwaltney JM Jr, Pfal er MA, Sheretz RJ. Dispersal of Staphylococcus aureus
into the air associated with a rhinovirus infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidem (in press).
226. Skoner DP, Shibayama Y, Doyle WJ, Cohen S, Gwaltney JM, Kaplan AP. Nasal bradykinin
levels during the common cold. NEJM (submitted).
227. Bassetti S, Bischoff WE, Walter M, Bassetti-Wyss BA, D'Agostino RB Jr, Lovato J, Gwaltney
JM Jr, Pfal er MA, Sheretz RJ. "Partly cloudy with a chance of Staph": Airborne dispersal of Staphylococcus aureus
associated with a rhinovirus infection. Annl Int Med (submitted)
228. Bischoff WE, Bassetti S, Bassetti-Wyss BA, Wallis ML, Tucker BK, Reboussin BA, D'Agostino
RB Jr, Pfal er MA, Gwaltney JM Jr, Sheretz RJ. Airborne dispersal as a novel transmission route of coagulase-negative staphylococci: Interaction between coagulase-negative staphylococci and rhinovirus infection. J Infect Dis (submitted).
229. Gundlapalli AV, Rubin M, Samore MH, Lopansri B, Lahey T, McGuire HL, Winthrop KL, Dunn
JJ, Wil ick SE, Vosters RL, Waeckerle JF, Carroll KC, Gwaltney JM Jr., Hayden FG, Elstad MR, Sande MA. Early diagnosis and management of influenza and other respiratory infections at the 2002 Winter Olympaid: Linking public health with patient management. Lancet (submitted).
230. Eddleston J, Christiansen SC, Jenkins GR, Sarnoff R, Gwaltney JM Jr, Turner RB, Zuraw BL.
Rhinovirus suppresses glucocorticoid induced leucine zipper mRNA levels in atopic subjects. Submitted Am J Respir Crit Care Med
231. Caruso TJ, Prober CG, Gwaltney JM Jr. Treatment of naturally acquired common colds with
zinc: a structured review. Clin Infect Dis 45:569-574, 2007.
European Heart Journal (2014) 35, 2797–2811 New strategies for heart failure with preservedejection fraction: the importance of targetedtherapies for heart failure phenotypes Michele Senni1, Walter J. Paulus2, Antonello Gavazzi1, Alan G. Fraser3, Javier Dı´ez4,Scott D. Solomon5, Otto A. Smiseth6, Marco Guazzi7, Carolyn S. P. Lam8,Aldo P. Maggioni9, Carsten Tscho¨pe10, Marco Metra11, Scott L. Hummel12,13,Frank Edelmann14, Giuseppe Ambrosio15, Andrew J. Stewart Coats16,17,Gerasimos S. Filippatos18, Mihai Gheorghiade19, Stefan D. Anker20,21,Daniel Levy22,23,24, Marc A. Pfeffer5, Wendy Gattis Stough25, and Burkert M. Pieske26*
The evolving threat of antimicrobial resistance Options for action World Health Organization20 Avenue AppiaCH - 1211 Geneva 27SwitzerlandTel: +41 (0) 22 791 50 60 ISBN 978 92 4 150318 1 WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data The evolving threat of antimicrobial resistance: options for action. 1.Anti-infective agents - adverse effects. 2.Drug resistance, microbial - drug effects. 3.Anti-bacterial agents - administration and dosage. 4.Drug utilization. 5.Health policy. I.World Health Organization.